Friday, March 13, 2009

Sahera and I are going to "video conference"...

Beth Murphy, who created the documentary Beyond Belief, is heading back to Afghanistan. While in Kabul, she has generously agreed to deliver a video message from me to Sahera, one of the women that I met in Kabul back in May of 2006.

Sahera is a beautiful woman, inside and out. Although I only spent an afternoon with her, I felt a real connection with her. Sahera's children are the same ages as my kids and I guess I was just able to see myself in her. The process of making the video to send to her was a bit rough. I cried a lot and had to do a few takes before I was coherent. It's been three years since we met and so much has happened in that time. I've gotten remarried and had a baby. I'm hopeful that Sahera has found happiness these past few years but I am fearful that providing for herself and for her children has been a struggle.

Beth arrives in Afghanistan in about a week. I can't wait to hear all about her trip - especially her visit with Sahera!

4 comments:

  1. I just showed "Beyond Belief" to my book club tonight! They loved it! I loved Sahera in the movie, too. I plan to follow your blog and see what you learn about her life. Blogging has been a great way to meet lots of people and get your story heard. I'll refer people your way as I can. Great work, and I'm happy to hear of your happiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Carol (the above comment) linked me to your blog! I just watched Beyond Belief. It was amazing! What wonderful work and your strength is amazing! Congrats on your new(er) baby and marriage!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Best of luck to you in your blog and your wonderful project. You are an inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I watched the film last night with my daughters. We loved it more than I can express. You are such an inspiration. Thank you for having such a beautiful and compassionate response to a terrible personal loss. The world needs more people like you.

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
MA, United States
My husband, David, was killed on September 11th. At the time, we had two small children and I was pregnant with our third. Learning about the plight of widows in Afghanistan, I felt that I needed to reach out to them the way so many had reached out to me and my family. Decades of conflict and strife ravaged Afghanistan, leaving tens of thousands of women without husbands to provide for them, a cultural necessity in Afghanistan. In the fall of 2003, I co-founded Beyond the 11th. Our mission is to help provide financial and emotional support to Afghan widows and their children and to give them hope for a better future. Beyond the 11th’s grants are geared toward programs that help widows gain the skills necessary to generate their own income. We believe strongly that this is the best way to create lasting social change.