Tuesday, April 21, 2009

September 12th Bike Ride - Fundraiser


Beyond the 11th is thinking about holding a fundraiser this Saturday, September 12th. It will be a one day bike ride with two options - 100 and 50 miles. We are also considering having a kids ride of maybe 5 or 10 miles.


Why are we doing the fundraiser? We are very interested in making a grant to Arzu for a women's community center that they are building in Bamiyan. In order to help in a significant way, we need to raise $50,000. I promise to share much more information on this amazing project in the weeks to come.


If anyone is interested in riding or volunteering, please let me know. Thanks!

5 comments:

  1. I'll definitely tell my friends, and we'll see how we can help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently saw "beyond belief" this past weekend and was so touched by the message of love and hope in the documentary. I would love to be involved in ongoing project and would love to find out more about how to get involved.
    --Kara Williams

    ReplyDelete
  3. I recenty saw beyond belief and I was so touched by the message of hope and love in this documentary. I would love to help in any way possible (maybe that means training for a bike ride!?)
    Best Wishes,
    Kara Williams

    ReplyDelete
  4. We would love to have you ride with us! Feel free to contact me if you'd like to discuss. Our phone number is 781-465-6464.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Bike ride? What a great idea! Count me in.

    Mel Stoler

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
MA, United States
My husband, David, was killed on September 11th. At the time, we had two small children and I was pregnant with our third. Learning about the plight of widows in Afghanistan, I felt that I needed to reach out to them the way so many had reached out to me and my family. Decades of conflict and strife ravaged Afghanistan, leaving tens of thousands of women without husbands to provide for them, a cultural necessity in Afghanistan. In the fall of 2003, I co-founded Beyond the 11th. Our mission is to help provide financial and emotional support to Afghan widows and their children and to give them hope for a better future. Beyond the 11th’s grants are geared toward programs that help widows gain the skills necessary to generate their own income. We believe strongly that this is the best way to create lasting social change.