Monday, September 14, 2009

Beyond the Bike

















As we set out yesterday with the rain pounding down on us, the wind in our faces and our shoes filled with water, I had a huge smile.

Everyone arrived at our home in Needham as individuals but we set out as a group. Our community was built as each new rider arrived and tried to cram into the garage. Strangers quickly became friends, “should I wear long pants or shorts? Do you have an extra set of gloves? Have you ever ridden in the rain before?” – we were quickly bonding. After the kids played the Star Spangled Banner (twice), the energy of the room shifted again. Pride. Pride in ourselves. Pride in our country. Pride in knowing that with each rain drop falling on us, we were one step closer to our goal of raising $50,000 for the construction of the Dragon Valley Women’s Community Center in Bamiyan Afghanistan.

As we rolled away from the house with 62 wet miles ahead of us, we stuck together and worked as a group. We helped each other with flat tires, we pointed out sharp turns and Bs along the route and we rode at whatever pace meant that no one had to ride alone. This feeling of community of being a part of something larger than ourselves is the same thing that I hope for for the women in Afghanistan.

The Community Center is nearing completion. In just about 6 weeks, women will have an opportunity to come together in a safe, warm place where they will have access to clean water to do their laundry, a tearoom where they will be able to socialize, classrooms for programs that teach new skills and a community garden where they can grow food. Our hope is that this building will be more than bricks and mortar. We hope that it will be a life changing community with a soul.

So thank you for the energy you brought to the day. Thank you to ALL of the volunteers that helped to make the day go so smoothly. Thank you for the donations you made and for the fundraising dollars you brought in. And thank you for your continued support.

I hope you are excited for 2010 back here in Needham and then 2011 – from NYC back to Boston…

Peace,
Susan





2 comments:

  1. Dear Susan,

    My name is Michael Cremin. I am a teacher in Medford, MA (not too far from where you live). I had the opportunity to watch the documentary about your work last night, "Beyond Belief," and I just wanted to send you a note to tell you how affected I was by your story. It is utterly remarkable to me that, in your loss and sorrow, you chose to reach out to other hurting people and spread peace instead of anger. Wow. I am a veteran of the United States Navy who saw enough of war to know that it is a grave moral evil, and that it does nothing but kill the innocent. Thank you for your beautiful story. May God bless you and your family.

    Peace and all good,

    Michael :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Susan!
    I've just watched the movie Beyond Belief. I loved it! You are an example of what the world needs: love, love, and love...

    God bless you and your family!

    Juliana Siqueira

    ReplyDelete

About Me

My photo
MA, United States
My husband, David, was killed on September 11th. At the time, we had two small children and I was pregnant with our third. Learning about the plight of widows in Afghanistan, I felt that I needed to reach out to them the way so many had reached out to me and my family. Decades of conflict and strife ravaged Afghanistan, leaving tens of thousands of women without husbands to provide for them, a cultural necessity in Afghanistan. In the fall of 2003, I co-founded Beyond the 11th. Our mission is to help provide financial and emotional support to Afghan widows and their children and to give them hope for a better future. Beyond the 11th’s grants are geared toward programs that help widows gain the skills necessary to generate their own income. We believe strongly that this is the best way to create lasting social change.