Friday, January 22, 2010

High Rock Middle School


I just got back from speaking to a group of sixth graders, one of which was my son! They are reading the Breadwinner by Deborah Ellis which is story about a young Afghan girls who pretends to be a boy during the rule of the Taliban. For anyone looking for a great book for kids on Afghanistan - I highly recommend it!

I spoke about my interest in Afghanistan, my work with Beyond the 11th and the programs that we support. Then I showed pictures and told stories about the time I spent while in Kabul. I used Power Point for the first time and I have to say it was a really helpful tool to get my points across. I found that speaking about my experiences combined with the photographs was really powerful.

Since the mission of Beyond the 11th is to raise both money AND awareness for the plight of Afghan widows, I hope to do more speaking at the middle and high school levels. I like the idea of reaching kids at a young age and planting the seed that we are more alike than we are different.

I can't wait for my son to get home from school to hear how I really did...

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
MA, United States
My husband, David, was killed on September 11th. At the time, we had two small children and I was pregnant with our third. Learning about the plight of widows in Afghanistan, I felt that I needed to reach out to them the way so many had reached out to me and my family. Decades of conflict and strife ravaged Afghanistan, leaving tens of thousands of women without husbands to provide for them, a cultural necessity in Afghanistan. In the fall of 2003, I co-founded Beyond the 11th. Our mission is to help provide financial and emotional support to Afghan widows and their children and to give them hope for a better future. Beyond the 11th’s grants are geared toward programs that help widows gain the skills necessary to generate their own income. We believe strongly that this is the best way to create lasting social change.